Pizza Gana Alla Momma (mom's Meat Pie)
- Servings: 8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Total Time: 110 minutes
|½ lb||Prosciutto Ham, sliced very thin|
|½ lb||Cappacola Ham, sliced very thin|
|½ lb||Genoa Salami, sliced very thin|
|½ lb||Good Pepperoni, sliced very thin|
|1-lb||Mozzarella Cheese, coarsely grated|
|3 lb||Ricotta Cheese|
|Salt & Pepper, to taste|
|Pie Crust (or Use Your Own Pie Crust or a Commercially Produced One):|
|3½ cups||Sifted All-purpose Flour|
|9– 12 Tbsp||Cold Water|
1. Preheat oven to 400º. Into a large bowl, tear individual slices of each cold cut (except pepperoni) into pieces about the width and length of one's thumb (about 1"x 2" pieces). Add the slices of pepperoni without tearing. Toss the mixture to evenly distribute the different meats.
2. Add the grated Mozzarella, Ricotta, eggs, and nutmeg and mix thoroughly with your hands until all ingredients have been evenly distributed. Taste the mixture and add salt and pepper to taste, insure you mix thoroughly after adding the salt and pepper.
Pizza crust preparation:
3. Sift flour and salt together; cut in shortening with a fork until the pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the mixture and toss with fork, push the moistened flour mixture to side of bowl. Repeat until all the flour mixture has been moistened. Divide mixture and form into two balls.
4. On a lightly floured surface, flatten one of the balls of dough. Roll the dough out, starting from the center, to a rough rectangle large enough to cover the bottom and sides of a lightly greased, rectangular, glass baking dish (approximately 13x9x2 inches in size) and about 1/8 inch thick.
5. Place dough sheet into baking dish and form to cover the bottom and sides. Add the filling mixture and distribute evenly. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the second ball of dough to roughly the same size as the first and about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into strips of dough 1/2 to 3/4 inches wide. Lay strips on filled pie at about 1 inch intervals across the width of the pie, fold back alternate strips and begin forming a lattice by interweaving strips placed at 1 inch intervals down the length of the pie (beginning 1 inch from the upper edge) with the strips along the width. After the lattice has been formed, trim excess dough around the edges of the dish by running a sharp knife along the outer rim of the dish. Seal edges.
6. Place the pie in the middle of the preheated oven and bake until the latticed top of the pie is golden brown, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Allow the pie to cool and set completely before cutting and serving (the pizza is customarily made the day before it is to be served and allowed to cool over night. It is normally cut into 3-inch cubes for serving).